Tree Stump Grinding
There are several methods to eliminate stump removal with heavy equipment, such as a backhoe or other commercial digger, or grinding it away. Generally, only commercial development projects select stump removal, instead, most businesses and homeowners opt for grinding as it does minimal damage to the surrounding area.
Grinding a stump can be a dirty and messy job, however, at Appleton Tree Service we are proud to maintain a safe and clean process leaving the affected area as pristine as possible. Stump grinding is merely a matter of bringing one of our Morbark or Vermeer grinders onto the property and positioning it over the stump. This is the one case where heavy equipment will be required to be on your property. However, with our grinders, the tracks left by the equipment are virtually invisible after a week; and the effect on the surrounding landscape is minimal.
Stumps can vary in the effort required to grind. New hardwoods, such as Oaks and Maples, are the hardest while old conifers, such as Cedar and Pines, are the easiest. Age also factors in, however regardless of the age or species of the tree, Appleton Tree Service can remove it with our professional grinders. There is also a consideration of the root system. That is if they are deep or shallow. If they are shallow, then there is a bit more work to do compared to if they run deeper. However, regardless of the root system, we can always eliminate them with our grinding process.
Stump Grinding Process
We use a 5 phase process in grinding stumps:
- Using hand tools, such as a rake and shovel, we clean the area of rock, gravel, and dirt so the area is clean to start with and easier for us to work around
- If not already done so, we will use a chainsaw to cut the stump as low to the ground as possible. This will significantly reduce the amount of wood that needs to be grinded, and it will reduce the degree of wood chips and dust.
- We then position the stump grinder in place, over the stump to within two to five inches and then lower the blades into the stump approximately two inches at a time. We then move the blades back and forth cutting the entire diameter of the stump.
- We will continue this process until all the wood is ground to four to six inches below the ground – this will lave you plenty of room to plant over it.
- Finally, we clean the entire area of debris. We can optionally replant the area with grass seed or sod – this will repair the surrounding area as if a stump and tree were never there
The entire stump grinding process can take 45 to 120 minutes, depending on the size, age, and species of the tree. The grinding process will leave a considerable amount of debris and wood chips on the ground. However, we take the careful effort to completely clean and rake the area free of any debris.
Ask about multi-stump discounts where applicable, and we also offer discounts if a customer purchases several services from us, such as tree removal and stump grinding. Call Appleton Tree Service when you need tree stumps eliminated.